Hot Links to Learning - Emotional Intelligence
With the...ummm...’interesting’...result of the US election, we thought we’d make this week's Hot Links topic Emotional Intelligence (EQ), and its importance in leadership and decision making, at work and in everyday life!
In its purest form, Emotional Intelligence as a concept has been around for thousands of years. Plato articulated concepts such as these in his writings. More recently, Howard Gardner mentioned it in 1983 when he first conceptualised ‘multiple intelligences’. The concept was further popularised in the early 1990s by John Mayer and Peter Salovey.
Daniel Goleman’s 1995 seminal book 'Emotional Intelligence: Why it matters more than IQ' really put EI on the map and into our consciousness, so to speak.
This week’s Hot Links to Learning:
• Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman. A short animation breaking down the concepts of emotional intelligence and how it's an integral part of thinking and decision making. In this clip Goleman also explains how our choices are often not based on our IQ, but more on our EQ: https://youtu.be/weuLejJdUu0
• When Emotions Make Better Decisions, Antonio Damasio. In less than 5 minutes well-known neuroscientist Antonio Damasio provides an interesting insight
• Why aren't we more compassionate? Daniel Goleman, author of "Emotional Intelligence" asks why we aren't more compassionate, more of the time: https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_goleman_on_compassion?language=en
• The Neuroscience of Emotional Intelligence, Huffington Post (written by Amy Brann) - Interesting challenges to our thinking... Amy asks: should we throw away Daniel Goleman’s book?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-brann/the-neuroscience-of-emotional-intelligence_b_9331292.html
• Emotional Intelligence, Leadership, and Resilience by Jason Moriarty, a Regimental Sergeant Major/Mentor/Coach/author who writes about how it takes both cognitive and emotional intelligence to be an effective leader in a modern military. He explains about the linkage between emotional intelligence and resilience: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/emotional-intelligence-leadership-resilience-jason-moriarty?trk=hp-feed-article-title-like
• Why Emotional Well-Being Matters at Work (Infographic) - An article from Hubspot's Marketing Blog about happiness at work, challenging the statement that "great work leads to big success, which leads to happiness": http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/happiness-matters-at-work#sm.0000wzuglm1xhcoxvk21fm92owvab
We hope you enjoy this week's selection!:-)
Southern Cross Coaching & Development offers customised in-house Neuroscience-based Emotional Intelligence Training, keynote speeches, Emotional Intelligence Coaching, and EQ 360 development assessments for leaders and teams, as well as for recruitment.
Contact us on +61 2 7901 5618 or email email@example.com to find out more or just to talk through what you’re looking for.
Here at Southern Cross Coaching &
To meet this growing requirement and to save you time sifting through the haystack for a few needles, we’ve decided to take the time to curate an exciting selection of links to specific articles, books and videos that we know will add value and feed your passion.
We’ll take the time so you don’t have to :-).
Like you, we love sharing our passion for these ground-breaking topics; we are always open to new thinking and we’re keen to learn along with you… So please send anything, links, articles, suggestions for discussion, anything you think will inspire us and our growing community.
For an informal discussion to explore how Southern Cross Coaching & Development can assist you or your people with becoming their 'best selves', call us on (02) 7901 5618 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org